Labels and Names

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Marotter
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Otter
Region: Limpopo and Mpumalanga

Labels and Names

Post by Marotter »

Let me first start off with a simple introduction by saying Hi.

It has come to my attention that the fandom of "Furries" has moved a lot of generations and throughout the years the fandom has changed, considering it first started out as an internet sub-culture and ended up as a worldwide fandom.

The times wherein furries find themselves is seeing less and less hatred from people than earlier times, which means that certain members see the Fandom as more of a culture therefore take it way more serious than that which was intended, taking up arms and yelling "THIS IS MY FURRY PRIDE" to anyone who sees the clique as strange or bad.

Now what does the word "Furry" mean? Well the word is, as you all know just the slang word for anthropomorphic, as that word is somewhat of a hassle to remember, write and even pronounce, but that isn't actually what I mean, so let me rephrase:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A "FURRY"??

"Well that's easy *insert description here*" some of you might say... BUT. Is it really that easy to explain? Why do we identify ourselves as furries? Is it because of our love for the art? Our fondness of Fursuiting? The Roles we assume when in our "Fursona"? Or just the aforementioned persona of our desired animal?

What is it that makes a furry? And why does one choose to label oneself as a furry in general?
Because a label/title doesn't necessarily express your love for something... Nor does an obsession with that which you cling so dearly to...

I mean, I've watched Star Trek, but that doesn't make me a Trekkie per say...

In the Wise words of Miktar Ezekiel Dracon: "I don't self-identify as furry anymore, because the furry fandom no longer represents my own interests (and that's fine), but that doesn't mean I'm not a furry. Just that I don't call myself a furry, because "furry" nowadays has too much baggage, and has come to mean a great many things to many people. Besides - just because you like something doesn't make you part of the clique or fandom"

I believe that greater words have never been spoken as to why not labeling yourself to a specific norm!

I'd like you to read this and think "Why do I call myself a furry?" and then contemplate on that, because the reason cannot just be "because it's awesome" that's like saying "I'm gay because penis" or "I like Dubstep because Wubs"... The real reason is purely psychological... I've contemplated on this for quite some time, and I've noticed that the reason for me clinging to the fandom is because of wanting to fit in with people I can relate to... And because of my insecurities (turning tails when a problem directly affects me), I mean when I go into my "little world" where my Fursona can reign free, it doubles as a scape goat from all of the problems I face in everyday life... Helping me cope with what I think and feel...

I guess I'll end it off here, and I'll end it off with a thought:

If furries claim to be "unique", then why do we let the words of others (words referring to hateful and judgmental spews) make us jump up in arms like any other group of individuals would do? Why do we not turn our backs, prove to be better than those who try to drag us down? I understand if it's out of defense, or out of pride, but next time someone insults furries, write off that insult, because people want us to react with hatred and violence, to add fuel to their fire, so let's deny them that, and instead turn our backs, and be the sand that smothers that fire...
We don't have to take our clothes off, to have a good time.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Re: Labels and Names

Post by YoteFox »

First!!
Now to actually read it
Nah Joke
Anywho I like what you say about it, I completely agree with you. I am proud to be a furry but I do not let it take over my entire being. Yes I find an escape from my life problems when I start working on my fursuit or working on my sona but in all seriousness its mostly another hobby to me, keeps my mind at play. Some people take the "furry" thing way to far. It's the same effect as being an anime fan. So what if you are doesn't make you any different really from another person. Hope what I am saying makes sense.

I am going to state the obvious and say that being a furry is similar to being a trekkie, basically its a name that we call ourselves because of our love of anthropomorphic art and what not. No one can truly be a 100% furry because there is no such thing really as 100% anthropomorphic creatures.

But my point that I am trying to make is the fact that FANDOM is right after the furry part, we are but merely fans of furries. Yes we have our fursona which describes our alter ego's for most of us I suppose but it all comes down on the fact that being a furry shouldn't rule your life only be like an add on, and well to be honest I am proud of being a furry.

Yes there is a huge debate about what furry is really about and no one person can really tell you. So what I am going to do while you all are debating on what being a furry is about I am going to put on my fursuit and go frolick in the park or something because that is what being furry is to me.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

Oh dear, furry existential crisis. A better question would be, why are you so concerned with labels?

Furry is a loose definition, because there are many possible aspects to it, and different people place different amounts of emphasis on each of these aspects, whether that aspect is fursuiting, furry media or yiff.

At the core of it all is an admiration for anthropomorphic (or zoomorphic) beings. If you like anthros - for whatever reasons, and there are many different reasons for liking them - and you identify as being furry, then you are a furry: that we can say for certain.

If you are admire anthros and you often to play as an anthropomorphic character in video games, and you enjoy seeing anthro characters in just about any media, yet you don't have any contact with the furry fandom community, then are you a furry? Arguably yes: you are a furry because you're a fan of anthros. On the Star Trek wiki, a Trekkie is defined simply as a fan of Star Trek.

The term 'furry' has no bearing on whether you view it as a lifestyle or a hobby. Even the most casual forum poster is called a furry, just like the most hardcore fursuiter. It's pointless to say, "being a furry does not define me as a person," because it's not a measure of how obsessive you are in the first place.

It's a very vague term and there's no authority that has nailed down a strict definition for it.

If you don't want to associate with the fandom, nobody is going to force you to call yourself a furry. On the other hand, if you do associate with the fandom - because you like the people and the social aspects - yet you are completely indifferent to anthromorphs as a subject matter, then technically you're not a furry, but people aren't going to challenge you if you call yourself a furry, or exclude you from websites or furmeets: furries and friends of furries are all welcome the same in our open community.

Miktar Ezekiel Dracon is obviously still a furry: he just doesn't want to call himself a furry because he doesn't want to associate himself with what some other furries are doing (probably yiff). Just because he no longer associates with furry communities (the fandom) does not mean he is not a furry (a fan of anthros).

With your last paragraph, you are asking why any human responds to insults. All human individuals are unique, yet most respond to insults. Why do humans not ignore insults, you ask? That's a whole discussion in itself.
Hahaha! :lol:
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

>I like Dubstep because Wubs
>because Wubs
> Wubs

I'm dying of laughter.
I am so using this in my day to day life.

"Hey, how was the party? I heard Stacy made a chiffon cake"
"Er, the cake was good, it just didn't have enough Wub"
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

To be completely honest I have yet to encounter a single person who thought the idea of furries was reprehensible. A bit childish maybe, a little strange sure, a waste of time yes, but not worth hating.

I guess it all depends on how seriously you take it. Choosing to label yourself depends on your attachment and level of self-confidence. I for one have never cared if I was labelled as anything, much less about the stigmas attached to the labels. Heck I take "you're weird" as a compliment.