Indy's Intro

Come in and introduce yourself! Don't be shy now. We don't bite. Expect a few licks though...
Indecipherable
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Indy's Intro

Post by Indecipherable »

Not really comfortable with introductions (sorry), but decided to make one eventually - so that I do actually feel like a member (and maybe prevent raising a few eyebrows)

Most of the info is on my profile, but some other bits of enlightenment:
-I'm a metalhead from Durban (not really born here, though)
-Obsessed with cheese
-Pretty sure animals have more soul than humans
-LOTR fan; gamer

I seem to parenthesise a lot... :/

My mindset seems to be of one who strives to be a producer rather than a consumer, so I naturally end up trying to expand my knowledge in a variety of fields (computer science, programming; literature; art; ...)

Pleased to be here :) *gives free hugs*
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Indecipherable

Re: Indy's Intro

Post by Indecipherable »

Auric wrote:Welcome to the group! Hope you find many new friends here :)
Thanks))
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Greetings, Indy, and welcome to the forum!
You say you weren't born here, and that Russian is your first language, so I assume you originally come from Russia? How did you end up down here in SA? :)
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
RakWolfie
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Region: Gauteng

Post by RakWolfie »

Hello and welcome :)
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Hi Indecipherable, I hope you enjoy your stay here, and I hope you fi--...
Auric wrote:...Hope you find many new friends here :)
Okay Auric, because it's your Birthday I will let it slide this time. :P

Indecipherable wrote: -Pretty sure animals have more soul than humans
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. Pedophilia, kidnapping, rape, murder, cannibalism: animals do it all, and sometimes in that order too - just for fun. :P

What games do you play?
Last edited by Ryall on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Wow, Ryall, you are such a killjoy. :lol:

Anyway, welcome new fur. It's always nice to have another metalhead on board.
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Contrast wrote:Greetings, Indy, and welcome to the forum!
You say you weren't born here, and that Russian is your first language, so I assume you originally come from Russia? How did you end up down here in SA? :)
Long story; family member's decision - not that I regret it. Found great new friends I wouldn't have known by staying in one place.
RakWolfie wrote:Hello and welcome :)
Thank you :)
Ryall wrote:Hi Indecipherable, I hope you enjoy your stay here, and I hope you fi--...
Auric wrote:...Hope you find many new friends here :)
Okay Auric, because it's your Birthday I will let it slide this time. :P

I'm allergic to cheese. :(
Indecipherable wrote: -Pretty sure animals have more soul than humans
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. Pedophilia, kidnapping, rape, murder, cannibalism: animals do it all, and sometimes in that order too - just for fun. :P

What games do you play?
<rant>
Yes, but animals only have free will to a certain extent - they operate on traits that they developed over the ages to survive by adaptation. The nature dictates them and yeah, there are peculiar behaviours among them - but hey, we can't all be homogenised 0_o

We are supposed to be the intellectual species that uses the resources wisely and protects the lesser creatures (i.e everyone else)
We have logic, technology and the ability to form complex decisions... unfortunately we kind of suck at utilising all that properly.
</rant>

I play anything that is fun)) Generally fantasy RPG & RTS (I confess that I'm a DOTA addict :O)
Nice to meet you)
MontgomerySeven wrote:Wow, Ryall, you are such a killjoy. :lol:

Anyway, welcome new fur. It's always nice to have another metalhead on board.
Thank you, nice to be here
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

RPG and RTS games? Nice. Do you play Terraria, Diablo, Starcraft II, or Company of Heroes per chance?
Indecipherable wrote:<rant>
Yes, but animals only have free will to a certain extent - they operate on traits that they developed over the ages to survive by adaptation. The nature dictates them and yeah, there are peculiar behaviours among them - but hey, we can't all be homogenised 0_o

We are supposed to be the intellectual species that uses the resources wisely and protects the lesser creatures (i.e everyone else)
We have logic, technology and the ability to form complex decisions... unfortunately we kind of suck at utilising all that properly.
</rant>
But Dolphins are highly intelligent and have us much free will as we do, yet they kill porpoises for fun, and rape each other for pleasure. Being intelligent doesn't mean being good. At the end of the day, we are just intelligent animals, and we have utilized that intelligence to escape natural selection, and to become the dominant species on Earth. Like most animals, we are driven to survive and succeed, and for some people, that means being selfish (not always the case), just as it is with other animals. Each of us have the ability to be incredibly altruistic, or evil, and choosing one over the other doesn't mean we have any more or less of a "soul."

People point out how we're destroying our planet, and how stupid that is, but they forget we are intelligent enough to recognize this unique problem. Being the smart creatures we are though, we are finding creative solutions to the issues of climate change. Just because we haven't yet solved these new problems, doesn't mean we suck at using our 'intellect' and stuff.

Oh! Indecipherable! You are a man of Russia! Come! Let us hold hands and sing! When did you come to South Africa? :D

Rather you're here than there by the way. For starters, we aren't engaged in an anti-homosexuality campaign, nor are we embroiled in a mudslinging competition with the US and EU over the Ukraine. Besides, drinking potato juice and smoking your winter away can't be that fun. :)
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Ryall wrote:RPG and RTS games? Nice. Do you play Terraria, Diablo, Starcraft II, or Company of Heroes per chance?
Indecipherable wrote:<rant>

</rant>
But Dolphins are highly intelligent and have us much free will as we do, yet they kill porpoises for fun, and rape each other for pleasure. Being intelligent doesn't mean being good. At the end of the day, we are just intelligent animals, and we have utilized that intelligence to escape natural selection, and to become the dominant species on Earth.
I'm not claiming that being intelligent is the same as being "good". I'm merely saying that this intelligence can be be used for something beneficial. Dolphins are quite close to humans in terms of free will and behaviourism, yes, which may partially explain why they practice the fun things you mentioned, like us.

I'm not scolding humans - we are what we are... we just could have done a tad better.
Ryall wrote:Like most animals, we are driven to survive and succeed
Yep, and just like animals, we haven't escaped natural selection fully. We found a way to counter it artificially though. Yay.
Ryall wrote:and for some people, that means being selfish (not always the case), just as it is with other animals. Each of us have the ability to be incredibly altruistic, or evil, and choosing one over the other doesn't mean we have any more or less of a "soul."
Was using "soul" as a metaphor for rational goodwill, but anyway. My fault for not defining it.
Ryall wrote:People point out how we're destroying our planet, and how stupid that is, but they forget we are intelligent enough to recognize this unique problem. Being the smart creatures we are though, we are finding creative solutions to the issues of climate change. Just because we haven't yet solved these new problems, doesn't mean we suck at using our 'intellect' and stuff.
We caused most of those problems in the first place. And finding creative solutions and actually applying them effectively are two different things.
Ryall wrote:Oh! Indecipherable! You are a man of Russia! Come! Let us hold hands and sing! When did you come to South Africa? :D
Right... because the Soviet Union is still in place, all Germans are Nazis, I look like this and own a bear as a pet...
Ryall wrote:Rather you're here than there by the way. For starters, we aren't engaged in an anti-homosexuality campaign, nor are we embroiled in a mudslinging competition with the US and EU over the Ukraine. Besides, drinking potato juice and smoking your winter away can't be that fun. :)
Thanks)) (not sure about the potato juice... there are potato pies, though)

Should I be ashamed for arguing in my introductory thread? 0_o
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Indecipherable wrote:I'm not claiming that being intelligent is the same as being "good". I'm merely saying that this intelligence can be be used for something beneficial. Dolphins are quite close to humans in terms of free will and behaviourism, yes, which may partially explain why they practice the fun things you mentioned, like us.

I'm not scolding humans - we are what we are... we just could have done a tad better.
Was using "soul" as a metaphor for rational goodwill, but anyway. My fault for not defining it.
What you were saying initially though is that animals have more of a propensity for goodwill than humans do. I don't believe in souls, don't worry, so I know more or less what you meant, hence I used inverted commas.

My response is that animals - no matter how intelligent or stupid - are often cruel. When animals show compassion, we make documentaries and movies about it because it is rare and surprises us. We tend to ignore the nasty things animals do, because we expect them to behave like animals. When humans do cruel, wicked things, we fascinate over it on the news (look at your news headlines and see) because it is shocking and surprising. We rarely focus on the random acts of kindness that we enact every day all over the world.

The other day I saw an article about a monkey showing compassion and looking after another dying monkey. We do this in hospitals around the world every day.

How then can you possibly say that animals are kinder than us? As you say though, we are capable of doing better, and we should. We will improve. That's the amazing thing about humans: we want to do better.
Indy wrote:...
Yep, and just like animals, we haven't escaped natural selection fully. We found a way to counter it artificially though. Yay.

We caused most of those problems in the first place. And finding creative solutions and actually applying them effectively are two different things.
Natural Selection is the process of generations becoming better suited to live in an environment, by not dying from it. Our intelligence won that game for us. We can now focus on more important things than just 'surviving.'

Yes we created those problems, but we created them on our quest to improve the lives of humans the world over. We started those problems in the industrial era, and there was no way of knowing then the consequences our actions could have.

Finding and applying solutions are different things, but we have not found viable solutions for everything. We've only found some solutions for some things, and we have implemented them: cars are now more fuel efficient, lights and computers use less electricity, and wind farms are being built all around the world.

It is still an ongoing war though, and one day, like natural selection, we will win.
Indy wrote:Right... because the Soviet Union is still in place, all Germans are Nazis, I look like this and own a bear as a pet...
No way! :shock: This is so much better than I imagined! :D

Vodka is traditionally made from fermentation of potatoes btw, hence I call it potato juice. ;)
Indy wrote: Should I be ashamed for arguing in my introductory thread? 0_o
Not at all. If anything, I respect you for rationalizing your opinions, and engaging in a debate around them. Also, for taking the time to read what I said, and for writing a reply. You have allowed for an interesting discussion, and I hope you don't think of me as your enemy for disagreeing with your opinions, or for poking fun at your heritage. :D

We all disagree sometimes, because no human is always right...
What's important is that we don't take disagreements personally, and that we learn from those disagreements.
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Ryall wrote:It is still an ongoing war though, and one day, like natural selection, we will win.
The problem is that the world is led by corporative forces who push aside anything that isn't profitable. Hence, Some really great ideas will most likely never surface.

I can has your optimism? :D
Ryall wrote:Vodka is traditionally made from fermentation of potatoes btw, hence I call it potato juice. ;)
Ah ok, I see the link now... Was picturing weird Harry Potter references in my mind - with Pumpkin juice and all.
Ryall wrote:
Indy wrote: Should I be ashamed for arguing in my introductory thread? 0_o
Not at all. If anything, I respect you for rationalizing your opinions, and engaging in a debate around them. Also, for taking the time to read what I said, and for writing a reply. You have allowed for an interesting discussion, and I hope you don't think of me as your enemy for disagreeing with your opinions, or for poking fun at your heritage. :D

We all disagree sometimes, because no human is always right...
What's important is that we don't take disagreements personally, and that we learn from those disagreements.
That^
I probably came across as a raving misanthrope, though...

PS: Where do I claim the prize as per your signature? ^__^
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

SHHHHHHHH!!!!! :o

:P
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Auric wrote:
Indecipherable wrote:The problem is that the world is led by corporative forces who push aside anything that isn't profitable. Hence, Some really great ideas will most likely never surface.
That's a brilliant and completely unsustainable idea. Currency and trade aren't just social constructs - they're baked right into our genes. The entire concept of territory and ownership has been around since before our genetic line came into being - very much doubt you could turn that around in the space of a few generations.

Nope, I'm afraid we're stuck with our current system for the time being. For as long as there are aggressors, there will be aggression, and we've done a great job of completely halting natural selection in that regard.
I completely agree. We may have managed it if it were done from the beginning.
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

But then we would not be human. :P
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Ryall wrote:But then we would not be human. :P
It's ok, I can be Cthulhu instead >:D
-Norman Cousins

Steam
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

Hello new furr!
Indecipherable wrote:*gives free hugs*
Free hugs?! how wonderful! I don't need a hug but I have a few friends who do need hugs. Come here I'll show you to them, they're right here in this... hugven! So get in there and give them their hugs. Yes the hugven looks a lot like a big oven, slight design error. Yes there is a bunch of potatoes in there, potatoes need hugs too. Yes its hot, its so all the hugs can be all the more snuggly. No that isn't chilli sauce I've just thrown on you its... nothing... Get into the hugven!

btw nice signature.
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Sakul Ebbon wrote:Hello new furr!
Indecipherable wrote:*gives free hugs*
Free hugs?! how wonderful! I don't need a hug but I have a few friends who do need hugs. Come here I'll show you to them, they're right here in this... hugven! So get in there and give them their hugs. Yes the hugven looks a lot like a big oven, slight design error. Yes there is a bunch of potatoes in there, potatoes need hugs too. Yes its hot, its so all the hugs can be all the more snuggly. No that isn't chilli sauce I've just thrown on you its... nothing... Get into the hugven!

btw nice signature.
I shall add the idea to be eaten to my to-do list, alongside "being buried alive" and "held in a basement".
Well, at least there's sauce...
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

What have I just read? :?

Also, what's this about prizes?

Finally, Russians are awesome. I have had several as friends over the years.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Russia has Wolfy-Nail. 'Nuff said. :P
CourteousCastellan

Post by CourteousCastellan »

Hello there! Welcome to the forum.
I hope you enjoy your stay.
Indecipherable wrote:the Soviet Union is still in place
It's certainly well on it's way to coming back unfortunately.
Indecipherable wrote:-Obsessed with cheese
I've never quite understood the fascination for cheese many people seem to have. Have you ever had any Wensleydale cheese? If so, is it any good?
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Hi! Glad to see more young furs :D
Mew?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

CourteousCastellan wrote:Have you ever had any Wensleydale cheese?
Castellan, that's it! Cheese! We'll go somewhere where there's cheese! It'll be a grand day out. ;)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Cheese, Gromit!
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

*growls* nooooo! Not cheese! I hate that stuff
Mew?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

jacojerb wrote:*growls* nooooo! Not cheese! I hate that stuff
I'm just crackers about cheese! Say no to carrots, cabbage, and cauliflower! :P
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

*Takes a free hug and gives one back*
Hello new fur.
Yay. Wolves are fun.
[REDACTED]
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

I'm allergic to cheese. :(
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Glad to meet everyone :)
Ryall wrote:I'm allergic to cheese. :(
*casts cheese allergy removal*
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Welcome to the forum! Hope you'll have a great time!
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Indecipherable

Post by Indecipherable »

Ivic-Wulfe wrote:Welcome to the forum! Hope you'll have a great time!
Thanks)) Love your signature 0.0
-Norman Cousins

Steam